Thursday, December 1, 2011

Re-Purposed Drawer

I usually pass by old drawers at ReStore, but this one caught my eye.


Ewww!

But I liked its size and price tag (one dollar).  I considered making a big tray out of it, but I really didn't have a solid plan.  So rode around in the truck of my car all summer.

Tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.

Finally, inspiration struck.  Actually, I had outgrown my previous storage for craft paint, the thrift store spice rack.


The old drawer was the perfect depth to be made into shelves.  First I removed the tracks and peeled away the nasty contact paper, which was brittle and came off easily.  Next, I cut shelf supports from a 1/2 inch square dowel rod and glued them to the sides.


The shelves are 1/4" x 3" pieces of craft wood.  And yes, that's a chip clip holding the first shelf in place while the glue dries because I didn't want to search in the garage for proper clamps.

And here's the end result:


Since the wood for the shelves is about a quarter of an inch deeper than the drawer, I dog-eared the ends so they would transition better into the frame.


It will be so nice to have all most of my craft paint visble and within reach!




I'm linking up...

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea! Gotta try this for my nail polishes as well as some of the paints I have laying around! :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.