Monday, August 27, 2012

Pair of Pears

A couple of years ago, I started dabbling in painting.  I claim to be no artist.  While I took art classes when I was in school, they were usually for drawing or ceramics.  I am a 100% self-taught painter.


I like painting abstract landscapes.  And pears.  With a palate knife.  No brushes involved.  I painted the whole thing with this:


Why are pears such a common subject?  There must be something about those curves.

I used a 12 x 12 wrapped canvas, so I could have skipped the framing, but my decorating style is pretty traditional so a frame was more appropriate.  While I was pleased how this painting turned out, I didn't want to splurge on custom framing.

So I started with basic wood frame from Michaels (plus a 40% off coupon).


It's a shallow frame so the canvas would stick out the back, so I added some bulk on the backside with some 1x2 I had on hand.  I used wood glue and small brads to attach the four pieces to the main frame.


Next, a little sanding and a bit of wood putty to fill the gaps, followed by two coats of my favorite craft paint.


I had painted the hall to the garage red last year.  I love the color, but it's a little dark.  I love the way the green pears pop against the wall now.

 
 
 
I'm linking up...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.