Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Down on the Farm

I think I must have cabin fever because I'm dreaming of being outside. I have big plans for the garden this year that I can't wait to start.

Last week, my sister-in-law and I enjoyed a "girls day out" together. We strolled through some of the shops in historic downtown Overland Park, KS. Well, as historic as a city that only dates back to 1905 can be!  I did score some FUN rain boots at a secondhand clothing store that benefits a great charity.


I learned from the salesperson that some of their stock is donated by a hoity-toity store on the Plaza (an upscale shopping district in Kansas City, MO).  They had a big donation of Tamara Henriques rain boots, but only two pairs in my size, so I went with the dogs.  Springs are notoriously rainy in KC which makes gardening a muddy mess, but now I'm ready.  Bring on the April showers!

I have some interesting additions to my Etsy shop in keeping with the gardening/farming theme, like this cute "Farm Fresh" pig sign.


He was a much used and abused cutting board when I found him.  He was scrubbed, sanitized, sanded and sealed before I handpainted him "Farm Fresh."  He's ready for retirement in someone's charming homestead.

I also went through my stash of oddities and found this interesting wheel.


I'm not sure what it was from, but it has a great rusty patina.  I could see it setting on someone's desk, perhaps used as a paperweight.  It would also make some interesting jewelry.

Finally, I found this strange gear-like thing.


I looked at it for a long time.  It was too good to just toss away.  There was a new purpose for it somewhere.  Then I figured it out.


How stinkin' clever is that?  And the people in the photograph?  My great-grandparents.  Can you believe that I had FOUR living great-grandparents when I was in my early twenties?  Three great-grandmothers and one great-grandfather.  The grandparents in the photo where married for almost 68 years!  Wow!!  She was the most prolific quilter in my family.  I remember when they came to our wedding.  Everyone commented on the pretty woman in the lavender suit, and they admired the size of Grandpa's enormous hands.

Speaking of quilting, I'm still taking donations for my Spare a Square project.  I've started cutting the pieces and I can't wait to start sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will blog for comments! Talk to me.